The company was established in 1895 by Mr. Paulino Freire and, four generations later, the Freire family is still at the head of the shareholders and the direction of the company.
At the beginning, Freire was a ship repair yard, assisting Rķa de Vigo“s local fishing fleet, which was mostly owned by Mr. Paulino Freire.
Freire manufactures its own steam engines under its own patent.
Fishing vessels are built for Portugal.
Freire has its commercial representation in the most important Spanish ports under the name of Efectos Navales P. Freire. The expansion is unstoppable.
The first steel ship is built in the shipyard. Her name is "Puente de Castrelos". This photograph was taken at the keel laying; certainly a historic milestone for Freire.
Three years later, following a steep learning curve, "Puente de Castrelos", the first steel hull vessel built at Freire is completed.
Coia factory is acquired by Freire with the aim to increase its production capacity and be able to satisfy the strong demand of the time.
Freire builds a Car Carrier over 75 m length. The race to become the specialists in vessels with a high technology added value starts!!!
Freire establishes its own technical office, enabling it to provide engineering services as an integral part of the business.
Reefer Cargo vessels "Sierra Lara", "Sierra Loba", "Sierra Leyre" and "Sierra Laurel" are built for shipowner Maritima del Norte.
Freire enters into the history of the fishing industry: the largest fishing vessel in the world is built, the deepfreeze stern trawler "Willem van der Zwan".
Freire gains an international reputation as an Offshore Patrol Vessel builder.
In 2006 a cable laying vessel arrives at Freire premises to be converted into a seismic vessel. Freire breaks into the Offshore industry.